UAW convention

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Wed Jul 8 18:50:13 PDT 1998

Doug succinctly points out the fact that UAW national leadership is trailing the country in supporting the strikes of their own union members. The sad fact is, this is all too typical of numbers of unions. As a more general question, how can this pattern be fixed? Generally, it is the most tame and bureaucratic of union members who get sent to conventions, thereby insuring the re-election of the bureaucracy (in general this is true -- certainly in the CWA, my alma mater). Also, when mavericks get elected on an individual basis, they almost always become part of the conservative pattern, rather than changing the conservatives to more progressive actions. So, in the words of whatshisname: what is to be done? If elections tend to perpetuate the status quo, and if occasional activist leadership persons tend to be co-opted, the how do unions become more the front line of defense for the working class? Do we need all new unions? Do we need a new movement? Is there some way to push existing unions into class action?

maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com