ontology of class and race? Black class consciousness

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 16:44:03 PDT 1998

In message <s5a4b80c.079 at ci.detroit.mi.us>, Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL .ci.detroit.mi.us> writes
>Yet, one still wonders why there was this clear shift of party loyalty by Black
>people. My first thought is that despite the discriminatory dispensation of the
>New Deal, Black people are "very" working class - a higher proportion of Black
>people are working class and Black people are concentrated in the poorest
>sectors of the working class. Thus, the social democratic pro-working class
>reforms of the New Deal (won by mass working class struggle not volunteerily
>given), limited as they were, were felt and appreciated by Black people, and
>Black people shifted parties based on class consciousness.

I think that there is a lot in that. Just think of the relation between the CIO and black workers. While they were not saints, the CIO did organise black workers (where the AF of L failed to) even to the point of organising voter registration in the South to use black votes as a lever against Conservative southern politicians like ?Martin Dies? (name recovered from failing memory banks) the chair of the House UnAmerican Activities Committee. -- Jim heartfield