happy autoworkers

bautiste at uswest.net bautiste at uswest.net
Thu Jul 9 19:15:41 PDT 1998

The question is, are they making this kind of cash and how secure are the jobs?
>From what I understand--having spoken to some manifacturing engineers involved
in the turnaround at Ford--Total Quality Management practices are supposed to eliminate the need for a union. The unionists I have talked to see TQM as a threat to their power, but the workers sometimes it as enhancing their ability to have a say in the everyday operations.

GM didn't introduce TQM quickly enough, although I think they use at teh saturn plant. Supposedly the workers at Saturn rejected outright any role for the union in that plant. The management principles at work with TQM break flatten the communication hierarchy and make it easier for workers to have a direct say on everything from what coke machine goes in the lunch room to how many cars they need to get off the line in a month.

BTW I have always wondered whether there has been an adequate study of the impact of TQM, Just un Time and other management techniques by labor organizers. Except for the tired rant against _anything_ proposed by management, has there been a serious study of these methods and how the labor movement can use them to improve their understanding of what will best serve the interests of the workers.

chuck miller

-- http://www.users.uswest.net/~bautiste/index.htm