On charisma and foreign policy was Re: Tibet

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu Jul 9 20:27:29 PDT 1998

At 03:11 PM 7/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
> I am willing to stand corrected on Indonesian policy
>in East Timor. It may well be currently geocidal.
>Unfortunately, even though the most prominent Timorese
>spokesman won the Nobel Peace Prize, he gets little
>attention. I actually try to keep on top of that situation
>and don't remember his name.

Not to labor this point, B. but the Nobel Prize was divided between Jose Ramos Horta of Fretilin and Bishop Bello who resides in East Timor. Horta is in exile in Australia. Actually both men are infinitely more charismatic than the Lama but that is not the point. Here Chomsky's argument is irrefutable. We hear little of the East Timorese because they are 'unworthy victims' i.e. they do not fit in with American foreign policy imperatives.

The point is not that Horta and Bello are un photogenic but that they and their people are dispensable according to the Great Satan.

warm regards

Gary

will communicate off-line next week when I get a minute