Is value transhistorical?

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Fri Jul 10 13:50:32 PDT 1998

At 08:41 AM 7/10/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> on 07/09/98 06:53:08 PM
>
>Please respond to lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>cc: (bcc: Edwin A. Eppich/BCBS/DHP/AIDS/OPH/DOH)
>Subject: Re: Is value transhistorical?
>

>>The German for form is "Form". The German for formula is "Formel". The
>>plurals look more similar. The plural of "Form" is "Formen". The plural of
>>"Formel" is "Formeln". "Formen" and "Formeln". They are also virtual
>>homonyms.
>
>If "form" was meant, to avoid confusion he might more likely have used
>"Gestalt" instead. Unless he was after a pun.
>
>>Why does Wert appear separately in this argument, and why is the thrust of
>>the specificity on the exchange value form?
>
>Rather than strictly value, maybe "Wert" here has the sense of use or
>utility, as opposed to Wertloss: useless.

Marx discusses etymology more in Notes on Wagner.

Really with Hans confirming that the word in the first edition was Formen not Formeln, I think it is clear that there was a misprint. What is interesting is that no one spotted it was a misprint. Really we are right at the edge of trying to understand what Marx was getting at.

The suggestion of Gestalt is interesting, but throughout this key section 4 of Chapter 1, the word Form is used. According to my dictionary the two are indeed synonyms over quite a range of meaning but it appears that Gestalt has connotations of shape, whereas Form embraces meanings of a container - it can mean a mould - for cakes etc. The expression for form and content is Form und Inhalt, and that contradiction is fundamental to how Marx discusses this issue in this section.

Use-value is not the problem here. It is quite clear on a middle level reading that Marx is consistent in his distinction between use-value and exchange value. The problem is that in these and other passages Andrew Kliman has spotted a more subtle contradiction between exchange value and value. I do not fully grasp the significance he sees behind this contrast, but it is not as significant as I would like to read it to be, in his opinion. It appears to be something like exchange-value is the form, and value is the content. And that exchange value form is specific to economic relations of commodity exchange. Fair enough. But if value is the content, I am irked by the suggestion that that too is limited to commodity exchange.

Chris Burford