UAW convention

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Sat Jul 11 14:08:28 PDT 1998

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

> The European unions show that you can indeed organize engineers,
> scientists, doctors, and professionals of all kinds; why not do the same
> in the US?

They do. Professionals of all kinds have their trade associations in the US: AMA, Bar associations, etc. With the conspicuous exception of engineers, they are at least as strong as their European counterparts. I am still unconvinced that their interests overlap significantly with those of working class unions. In fact, to the extent that their main purpose is protecting and expanding upper-middle class incomes, they may have opposite interests. European professional associations rarely, if ever, coordinate their action in any meaningful way with working class unions.

> -- Dennis

Enrique