Should we celebrate the fall of the Soviet Union

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Tue Jul 14 06:40:24 PDT 1998

Louis Proyect wrote:

> I think that if the average Guatemalan awoke in the 1970s and discovered
> that his or her country had been transformed into East Germany or
> Czechoslovakia, they would have thought they had died and gone to heaven:

No shit. Same could be said of the average Nicaraguan in the 80's finding his country transformed into Spain, or the average Cuban in the 90's awakening in Japan.

Can we stick to meaningful comparisons here? Like West Germany vs. East Germany, Cuba vs. Haiti, and such.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 758 8962 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique