More on Japan and American 'Democracy'

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:45:57 PDT 1998

Actually this efficiency debate has another odd component to it. There is a well-established literature from some very mainstream types that purports to show that in many sectors, Soviet firms were actually more technically efficient than their US counterparts (this is pulling aside all the social welfare costs noted by Michael Perelman). The problem on the Soviet side was technological stagnation. But this was actually part of their greater efficiency. They were not constantly introducing new machinery or techniques and so the workers got quite good at doing what they had been doing.

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu