Japanese democracy

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Sun Jul 19 15:27:35 PDT 1998

The point can obviously be debated, but has a lot to it. 1940 looks like the point when there was a major structural change in the Japanese economy, not 1945. The best source on this Tetsuji Okazaki, who has not published in any US economics journals. My wife and I present some of his arguments in our book already cited on this list. For a much more in-depth presentation of the argument, see Tetsuji Okazaki, "The Japanese Firm under the Wartime Planned Economy," _Journal of the Japanese and International Economies_, 1993, vol. 7.

Some of the early Japanese planners had been involved in running Manchuko after the Japanese conquest there and had come under the influence of Soviet planners, given the former Russian influence in that region. Of course the Japanese planning eventually was of the indicative variety. Barkley Rosser On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:26:39 -0700 michael perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu