The Nation - Selected Editorial

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Mon Jul 20 07:17:00 PDT 1998

Is there any research that examines or posits a minimum (for social stability) long-term productivity growth rate? I have problems believing the 1% rate used by the SSA, especially since a 2% rate may aleviate most, if not all, of the shortfall problem. Also, it seems that a significant proportion (perhaps 30%) of the hypothesized 1% growth rate would be eaten up by changes in the age composition of the US population.

Does anyone know of anyone doing work in this area?

Jeff

---------- From: Tom Lehman To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: The Nation - Selected Editorial Date: Monday, July 20, 1998 12:13PM

Dear Doug and the Left Business Observers,

The great liberal hope sort of shot himself in the foot in the next to the last sentance of this editorial. No mention of raising the contribution level above $68,400. No mention of the pessimistic projections being an understatement---the end of the world as we know it might be a better way to describe the actuaries projections on the Social Security trust fund! Sincerely, Tom http://www.TheNation.com/issue/980727/0727WELL.HTM

<<File Attachment: 0727WELL.HTM>>