Global Warming?

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jul 21 09:19:52 PDT 1998

Hello everyone,

Tom Lehman says: Vice-President Al Gore has stated that the earths temperature hasn't been this warm in 400 years. The "old timers" want to know what caused the earth to be this warm 400 years ago? After all there was little or no use of fossil fuels used back then. No internal combustion engines. No airplanes. Hmm. Space rockets?

Doyle Hmmmm a difficult conundrum. 400 years ago the newscasts reported temperatures as hot as it is outside today! My understanding was in Shakespheare's time there was a qualitative difference in peoples attitude. For instance every house measured the temperature in the shade over the carriage entryway, and in the wine cellar. Peasants spent at least part of their day going from field to field faithfully recording the variation of local temperatures. This coupled with French weather satellites being launched in Africa were some of the first most reliable observations of earth temperatures then extent. After four hundred years those records have finally fallen. : )

Doug writes "Brad De Long is entirely welcome here, whether you or I like what he has to say. Leftists who don't talk with people outside the church will turn into braindead automatons, spiritless catechists. The only people who aren't welcome here are the disruptive, dogmatic, or stupid."

Doyle Of course. Brad De Long has every right to think as he chooses. It is in my opinion how we build a good movement. One can't know what history will do down the road without addressing all the perspectives that will be along for the ride. At any rate I agree with Doug's remarks. regards, Doyle Saylor