health care costs (was Soviet and US Economy)

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Tue Jul 21 16:42:39 PDT 1998

I think Jay Hecht has got it right here. The overcapitalisation of the US health sector -- like the SA private health industry -- is on the order of 1/3. But Marxist crits of US health care have focused on either the administrative costs associated with fragmentation of financing sources (e.g. Navarro) (as did earlier posts in this thread), the extent to which the healthcare product has changed with technology (O'Connor), the corporate form of health care provision (Salmon), or the class character of health services provision (the Ehrenreichs). When I had the opportunity to do a year's worth of research into the managed care phenomenon in 1995, I couldn't locate much of anything drawing upon classical Marxian overaccumulation analysis. Yet the need to devalue the fixed capital represented by inner city hospitals or teaching/research facilities, and in a manner that urgently seeks excessive absolute s.v extraction, could not help but lead to a backlash of the single-payer form. I think from this analysis it is possible to organically link both the production (especially nurses) and consumption constituencies, perhaps uniquely...

> Like the RRs from about 1890-1950, the hospitals are saddled with tremendous
> fixed-costs (i.e. rolling stock = beds) that there pricing structure (e.g. DRG
> and other capitation schemes) precludes them from recouping. In the short
> term, hospitals are trying to reduce the labor content in all services (from
> surgery to bedplans), however, as the lawsuits mount, this strategy will prove
> to be too costly and limited. There are rumblings from doctors for a single-
> payer system, and it will be interesting to see how the AMA finesses this one!
>
> Jason
>
> Jason

Patrick Bond home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094, South Africa office: University of the Witwatersrand Graduate School of Public and Development Management phone: 2711-488-5917 fax: 2711-484-2729 home phone: 2711-614-8088 email: pbond at wn.apc.org or bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za