Soviet and US Economy

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jul 21 11:50:33 PDT 1998

At 08:55 AM 7/18/98 -0700, Michael Perleman wrote:
>Our health care represents a high share in part because of the huge profit
margins
>and the concentration of health resources in the last weeks of a person's
life and on
>the needs of the well to do.

Add to it preventive medicine (immunization, pre-natal care etc.) that is cheap and effective but virtually absent in the US, and the absence of bureauccry needed to deal with the hodge-podge of private insurance systems.

However, their performance was not quite impressive in the area of post-surgical and rehabilitative treatment (which, I suppose, adds quite a bit to the cost of health care here).

Regards

Wojtek