property & criminality

Sheila Walters swalters at odu.edu
Thu Jul 23 14:15:45 PDT 1998

re.
> With crackdowns on homelessness and privatization of public space (is LA
> the most egregious example of this, with Bunker Hill and City Walk?),
> will it one day be a crime, supported by more explicit legislation than
> that now, to own no property?
>
> -Alec
I don't have an answer, but I've gotta comment that the crackdowns are disgusting. I was harassed recently by police for giving money to a stranger and informed that by giving money I was contributing to a crime and warned not to give money in the future to people on the street who ask. I told them that my roommate had asked me for money the day before while she and I were walking down the street - could I have her arrested? They gave each other a look of exasperation but said that I could press charges if I wanted to. Damn them. If they stop me again, I'll tell them that I begged the man to take my money.