Detroit: I Do Mind Dying (new edition)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 25 23:41:51 PDT 1998

Dear Friend,

I am writing to let you know about the new edition of the long-out-of-print classic, Detroit: I Do Mind Dying. This is an important event that many of us have been looking forward to for years.

I am hoping that you will consider teaching, reviewing, or purchasing the new edition of this important book. South End Press offers generous discounts of 40-55 percent to organizations that buy bulk copies of the book for internal education or for premiums. (You can email or call me for details.)

Information about the new -- and expanded -- edition is provided below. Please contact me if you have any questions about the book or if you have any ideas about spreading the word about the new edition.

I look forward to hearing from you.

In solidarity,

Anthony Arnove Editor South End Press

***

Please post and distribute:

Forthcoming from South End Press:

*The second volume of the new South End Press Classics series*

Detroit: I Do Mind Dying A Study in Urban Revolution (Updated Edition)

Dan Georgakas and Marvin Surkin Foreword by Manning Marable

"A historical narrative of the single most significant political experience of the 1960s." --Fredric Jameson

Since its publication in 1975, Detroit: I Do Mind Dying has been widely recognized as one of the most important books on the black liberation movement and labor struggle in the United States.

Detroit: I Do Mind Dying tells the remarkable story of the Dodge Revolutionary Union Movement, based in Detroit, and the League of Revolutionary Black Workers, two of the most important political organizations of the 1960s and 1970s.

The new South End Press edition makes available the full text of this out-of-print classic along with a new foreword by Manning Marable, interviews with participants in the League, and reflections on political developments over the past three decades by Georgakas and Surkin.

The new edition includes commentary by Detroit activists Sheila Murphy Cockrel, Edna Ewell Watson, Michael Hamlin, and Herb Boyd. All of them reflect not only on the tremendous achievements of DRUM and the League, but on their political legacy for Detroit, for U.S. politics, and for them personally.

About the Authors

Georgakas teaches labor studies at NYU and Queens College. A long-time editor of Cineaste, he is co-editor of The Encyclopedia of the American Left. Surkin is a professor of Political Science at Union Institute.

Available September 1998

250 pages 0-89608-571-6 $18 paper 0-89608-572-4 $40 cloth

***

To order, call 1-800-533-8478 or email southend at igc.org. Send checks to SEP Orders, 7 Brookline Street #1, Cambridge MA 02139-4146. Shipping and handling: $3.50 first title plus $.50 for each additional title.

For exam or desk copies or review copies, fax your request to 617-547-1333 or email arnove at igc.org. Please include information about the course -- or publication -- for which you are considering the book.

For organizational discounts, call 617-547-4002 and ask for Lynn Lu, or email arnove at igc.org.

To set up an event or interview with Dan Georgakas or Marvin Surkin, call 617-547-1333 or email arnove at igc.org.

***

Anthony Arnove Editor South End Press 7 Brookline Street #1 Cambridge MA 02139-4146

phone: 617-547-4002 fax: 617-547-1333 web: http://www.lbbs/org/sep/sep.htm

UAW Local 1981/National Writers Union