disinterested science

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Jul 28 00:07:07 PDT 1998

The British weekly magazine, New Scientist, has a sharp eyed editorial department and not too directly, but fairly often has items that are independent of corporate interest, or as in the case of their expose of western monopolization of third world gene patents, are openly critical. I suspect this is good for its circulation.

Of course universities have to serve the established class, but there are contradictory undercurrents which repeatedly throw up scientists who sympathise with higher ideals, and actually believe they ought to be possible!

Chris Burford