Privatization Pep Rally

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Wed Jul 29 08:39:57 PDT 1998

I don't know whether it is a "done deal" or not, though I tend to agree with Chuck that it probably is. And a disorganized left probably can't have much immediately effective input. Any effective opposition, if it comes, will have to come from the organizations of the pseudo-"middle class" (i.e., organizations of proletarians who consider themselves "middle class" such as the National Association of Retired People).

BUT, HAVING SAID THAT, Chuck's positive suggestion is positively vicious, because *any proposal whatever* for "solving" the Social Security System contains, as a concealed premise, a fundamental LIE: that a problem exists to be solved.

The WSJ perceived (in an editorial I mentioned some time ago) that even *opening* the question of Social Security (as Clinton had) in fact placed the system on a slippery slope to privatization. As that infamous colonel put it in Vietnam, "We had to destroy the village to save it." The WSJ pretended that Clinton was *for* Social Security and wasn't aware that once opened it would be under his control -- but whatever Clinton is, he is NOT stupid. He would have *intended* for the question to get out of his control.

In so far as leftists can find any crack through which to express their own responses, they should demand "NO CHANGES TO SOCIAL SECURITY." And they should be aware as they make this claim that unless mass actions in the streets can be mobilized, their demand is utterly utopian -- but at least it would not actively carry on the program of Clinton-WSJ by admitting that there was a problem to be solved.

Carrol