lbo-talk-digest V1 #254

Hugh Miller hmiller at luc.edu
Wed Jul 29 09:04:59 PDT 1998

>Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:40:09 -0400
>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>Subject: Teamsters
>
>So all you labor experts out there - what's it mean that Ron Carey's been
>exiled for life? Does Baby Hoffa have the election locked up?
>
>Doug

Not sure. But I'm staying away from Teamster City for awhile.

Scary place. Every Christmas my kids' magnet school primary grades held a carol sing at the old hall, a gorgeous, ornate, stately temple of labor. (You almost felt that Jimmy- or pieces of him, anyway- was listening to the singing.) Afterwards, the BA would present our principal with a check.

Anyway, you'd drive to Teamster City & a buncha big mopes in Teamster jackets would flashlight you into the parking lot. I rolled down my window the first time & asked if the car'd be safe.

Guy looks at me as if I'm from Mars, and says, "Hey, this is the f***in' Teamsters, OK? Your f***in' car's safe here."

(As long as it doesn't sport a TDU sticker...)

-HM

---------- Hugh Miller, Ph.D. Asst. Prof. Dept. of Philosophy Loyola Univ. Chicago Crown Center 366, Lake Shore Campus 6525 N. Sheridan Rd. Chicago IL 60626 Office: 773-508-2727 Home/voicemail: 847-583-8147 FAX 847-583-8148 "I could be bounded in a nut-shell, and count myself a king of infinite space"