Fairness Agenda

Don Jordan donjordan at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 30 21:23:50 PDT 1998

Carrol Cox:

Beautifully said, on fairness and the "river of blood." And Shaughnessy's Fairness Agenda is indeed nice. But you're right--such a goal should stress human rights rather than appeal to "fairness." Besides, every attempt at presuming the ability to set world goals should start with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights <http://www.hrweb.org/legal/udhr.html>, which is currently under attack for being too "liberal."

I also disagree with Scott Simpson's need for empirical evidence before acknowledging discrimination's negative effects on the economy. Any sucessfull world-wide organization dedicated to seeking a more pleasant world for the bulk of mankind, i.e., a world in which those at the top are controlled by those on the bottom, will have to be morally based. Social discrimination must be eradicated from mankind's mind before any idealistic world-wide movement to better the condition of the common man or woman will have a chance. We must leave idealogy behind us and strive to accomplish what's right. We must no longer be ashamed of being idealistic and of wanting to do the right thing.

Don Jordan San Bernardino, CA <donjordan at earthlink.net>