Privatization Pep Rally

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jul 31 11:42:46 PDT 1998

>Max, this can only come across as sarcasm, but I also intend it as a real
question. It comes in two parts:

>1. Who is the "we" of "we are," what political power does this "we" have,
and by what political strategy is it to achieve its goals?

"We" is labor and liberals. I don't do strategy, so I can't offer a bird's eye view of it, if there is one. "We" have some members of Congress, some sympathetic organizations around the country, some exposure in the media, and some support in public opinion; some of the usual resources of politics.

As capsule proof of "our" existence, I offer the fact that there is no balanced budget amendment to the Constitution, something "we" have succeeded in blocking, thus far.

>2. Why do you assume that these arguments you outline are of any importance
whatever in the real world? That is, how do they translate into political power?

See previous remark.

Obviously this could be responded to at length, with time, so don't take my brevity as an indication of dismissiveness, but of available time.

MBS