abortion litmus test

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Jun 1 07:19:20 PDT 1998

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> >In my political tent, I would trade 100 middle-class
> >pro-choicers for 100 Catholic pro-lifers who supported
> >aid to the poor in preference to what we have now or what
> >we had three years ago.
>
> Do Catholic pro-lifers score high on care for the poor? What's the gender
> gap in the abortion polls?
>
> Doug

Don't know the answer to either question. My reference was to the Catholic social teaching. Under such a regime, this country would be much better off, though the gains would be somewhat offset by losses in the realm of reproductive rights.

The pro-choice position has driven some such folks to consideratiion of all-around conservative doctrine and to single-issue voting for conservatives whom they would otherwise reject. By contrast, the GOP is able to finesse the issue better and draw more consistently on pro-choice voters.

MBS