'Intelligence' and Race (was Re: Invention of the white race // Rakesh on eugenics)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 1 09:06:34 PDT 1998

At 07:27 PM 5/31/98 -0400, Justin Schwartz wrote:

>I'm not in favor of intelligence testing, although I think IQ tests might
>be useful for Binet's original remedial purposes for individuals. I think
>that cross-racial intelligence testing is based on well-known confusions.
>My ownly point in starting this was that it's not crazy to measure
>cognitive capacities using pencil and paper tests, if, for whatever
>reasons, one wants to try to measure them. That's all. It was a smallish
>point, not worth belaboring.

No disagreement on the remedial use of Binet's tests. However, the unique contribution of the American Academia to racism was using paper and pencil test to claim genetic differences between people of different skin colour. In other words, Terman/Murray and Co. purported that their paper and pencil tests measure something more than behavioral differences -- they claimed they measure genetically inherited differences in congnitve capacities.

Regards,

WS