'Intelligence' and Race (was Re: Invention of the white race //

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Mon Jun 1 10:19:20 PDT 1998

Let me mention on this the excellent essays by Harry Chang "Toward a Marxist Theory of Racism" in the special issue on "The Political Economy of Race and Class" of REVIEW OF RADICAL POLITICAL ECONOMICS, 17(3), Fall 1985.

While rejecting the idea that race is a valid biological or "natural" category, he also states that care must be taken not to "abstract the physiognomic rule of racial determination out of racial categories altogether. Racial categories are not natural, but they are not for that reason "purely social" in all respects either. The racial standing of individuals is not decided solely by the biography of persons as social beings, but by biologically inherited natural physiognomic marks. Thus, nature does get enlisted..." (p. 38).

Arbitrarily selected physiognomic characteristics are assigned social significance. Categorization of humans into races according to physiognomic traits makes discrete categories out of what is in fact a continuum. This why the same individual could be "black" in the US (where historically the "one drop of black blood" policy was in place, "coloured" under the apartheid categories of SA, and "white" in parts of the Carib. and South Amer. I believe that SA also had an "honorary white" category for Japanese?

Madness.