sickly farm practices (was: Re: Remedial Class Struggle)

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Jun 1 09:52:17 PDT 1998

Les Schaffer wrote:

> >> I see at amazon.com you have published on the economics of farming.

Yes, I wrote Farming for Profit in a Hungry World in 1977. The question about antibiotics is not new. I wrote about the problem then. Nothing has changed in the meantime except that resistence to antibiotics has increasted dramatically. With industrialized farming, there is no room for error. Banks often will not give credit to farmers who deviate from standard practice. Besides, each farmer knows that the antibiotics on his/her farm will cause relatively small damage comapred to the whole -- so nobody has any reason to stop.

So now, farms become breeders of deadly diseases, just like our ghettos of poverty.

Tel. 916-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu