Query on Althusser

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Jun 1 10:47:11 PDT 1998

Althusser's *Pour Marx* was in its time an important book. At the time it came Marxist philosophizing was dominated by humanistic brands of Marxism (i.e. Sartre's) which emphasized Marx's earlier writings like the *1844 Manuscripts* over his later writings including *Capital.* By drawing attention back to Marx's mature writings and by reemphasizing the scientific aspects of Marx's project Althusser performed an invaluable service. On the hand his reading of Marx was quite flawed in a number of respects:

1). Althusser in interpreting Marx revived the Stalinist distinction between the 'young' Marx and the 'older' Marx. For Althusser the 'young' Marx and the 'older' were separated by an 'epistemological rupture' between a Marx committed to a Hegelian-Feuerbachian humanism and a Marx committed to a science of history conceived of as a 'process without a subject.' As formulated by Althusser this argument was seriously deficient as a reading of Marx's texts. Undoubtedly as Marx matured his work manifested changes in emphasis as he went from abstract philosophy to political economy but Althusser's interpretation is difficult to justify on a full reading of Marx's texts. Indeed, I doubt there is any prominent Marx scholars who would take it seriously.

2). ALthusser emphasized the scientificity of Marx's work yet Althusser's own conception of science is open to question. His conception of the three Generalities seems to have pretty idealist in character. In this and other respects ALthusser drew upon the work of his teacher Gaston Bachelard who was one of the sources of pomo theorizing on science.

3). Althusser as an interpreter of Marx had the bad habit of reading many of his own idiosyncratic ideas concerning Marx into Marx's texts. There is IMO nothing wrong with using Marx's texts as a springboard for developing ones own theorizing about social reality. But to develop one's own idiosyncratic interpretations and then read these back into Marx's writings and claim that this what Marx "really said" seems to me to be disingenuous.

Althusser was no doubt a looney toon. Nietzsche was too of course but much of his work is quite valuable. The value of a thinker's must ultimately be judged on this basis of whether it coheres together, whether it provides compelling explanations of external reality, whether it can provide an effective guide for practice and so on. IMO there is some valuable insights in Althusser's writings but there also some serious deficiencies.

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]