welfare & sex work

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 1 11:05:13 PDT 1998

Everytime I type the phrase sex work I think of David Polonoff, who used to be a writer (he wrote the great neocon seder for the Village Voice, "next year in Managua!"). When he heard someone at a rally use the phrase "culture workers," he said, "Culture workers? I got into culture so I didn't have to work." He's now a computer programmer.

Anyway, prostitute/writer Tracy Quan says that the talk among hookers is that welfare reform has increased the number of sex workers, but of course no one can prove it. A libertarian, she says the only good thing she's heard about welfare is that it keeps the labor supply down.

Doug