abortion litmus test

J Cullen reporter at eden.com
Mon Jun 1 11:30:25 PDT 1998

I agree with Frances Bolton and Max Sawicky on the abortion litmus test.

>From a practical consideration, if you start by excluding everybody who is
not pro-choice from a left coalition, you leave yourself in a hole from the start. Maybe you think you can fill that hole with pro-choice absolutists, but the recent track in elections is not encouraging on that score.

Personally, I wish more pro-life Catholics who feel compelled to vote for Republicans because of the abortion issue would promote other pro-life concerns there, such as support for social welfare, universal health care, equal access to education, a living wage and opposition to capital punishment. But I would make sure they feel welcome in the Democratic Party and I would take a Bonior in a minute over a blow-dried liberal who was correct on choice and a few other hot-button social issues but sided with the big-buck boys on economic issues.

-- Jim C.

---------------------------------------- THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST James M. Cullen, Editor P.O. Box 150517, Austin, Texas 78715-0517 Phone: 512-447-0455 Internet: populist at usa.net Home page: http://www.eden.com/~reporter ----------------------------------------