Genovese group

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Mon Jun 1 13:22:46 PDT 1998

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Mathew Forstater wrote:

> This is not new, right? Wasn't Genovese one of the original
> members of the group formed to protect the "classics" of the "canon" at
> least ten or fifteen years ago? With some bland name like the National
> Scholars Association or something?

Yes. The NSA is a neocon outfit. I don't know how long Genovese has been gone over to the other side. He and his wife Eliza Fox G were still calling themslves Marxists in the Fruits of Merxchant Capital book,w hich I believe is early 80s. NB G had a mix-up with Black Power activists and scholars over William Styron's Confessions of Nat Turner in the 60s, documented, from his side, in his Studies in Red and Black. He raised a lot of his proto=amti-multicultural ideas there, although I think he was right that Styron's book is not a racist document merely because it depicts Turner as those than a perfect nationalist-realist hero.

--jks