Abortion and the Death Penalty (was Re: abortion litmus test)

William S. Lear rael at dejanews.com
Mon Jun 1 14:35:27 PDT 1998

On Mon, June 1, 1998 at 16:59:58 (-0400) Wojtek Sokolowski writes:
>At 04:08 PM 6/1/98 -0500, Katha Pollitt wrote:
>>

>> I don't think this issue would even come up if abortion rights, and
>>women's rights generally, were not seen as unimportant, a distraction.
>
>I do not see a connection here. Abortion is distraction not because
>it pertains to women's rights, but because it is revisiting of an old
>battle (won in the Roe v. Wade decision), in the time when the
>economic spoils are being divided by the corporate elites.

Katha has eloquently argued against the rest of Wojtek's post elsewhere, so I'll let her respond to that if she likes. As to the above, if the fight for women's choice is a "distraction" because it is "an old battle", then so is the fight against racism, "won" in the Civil War. Simply put, the battle is still going on; it was not "won" in Roe v. Wade; and saying it is a distraction because business has continued its plunder is ... well ... breathtakingly arrogant.

Bill