Abortion and the Death Penalty (was Re: abortion litmus test)

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Mon Jun 1 17:47:03 PDT 1998

Wojtek suggests that abortion is a hot issue now "suddenly" because the ruling class wishes to distract people from its economic plundering. this is awfully conspiratorial for me. Also, I think there's a great deal of evidence that large sections of this country's ruling elites want very much for abortion to go away as a political issue, because it is marginalizing the Republicans among sane conservative people, especially women, and forcing the party into dependence on unpredictable crackpots. this is why you find people like william Bennett arguing AGAINST a constitutional ban on abortion--the holy grail for anti-choice hard liners -- and in favor of smaller "stealth" measures (consent laws, waiting periods, denial of reimbursement, bans on particular procedures) that attract less attention and about which people are more ambivalent.

But in any case, abortion is not "suddenly" a big issue. It's been a big political issue since roe v wade -- twenty six years! It only looks sudden to those who have not been paying attention.

best, katha