Remedial Class Struggle

Bill Rosenberg w.rosenberg at cantva.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jun 2 04:41:02 PDT 1998

>Yoshie wrote
>
>> The ruling class argument that 'post-industrial' economy (or
>> whatever) needs 'more + more educated workforce,' what with
>> computers and other tech fetishes, is merely an ideology. This is
>> an argument that is designed to blame the
>> unemployed/underemployed/low-wage workers for their alleged
>> 'education' deficit. This ideology also serves to make workers
>> accept that they--not employers--are responsible for job training.

What I take to be a reasonably explicit agenda regarding the place of education in the international capitalist economic order, appears as the work programme of the APEC Human Resources Development Work Group, which was agreed on by APEC leaders in Beijing in 1995:

* a quality basic education for all * regional labour market analysis * increasing the supply and quality of managers, entrepreneurs and training in the areas cental to economic growth * reducing skill deficiencies and unemployment by designing appropriate training programmes * improving the quality of curricula, teaching methods and materials * improving access to skill acquisition in the bloc * preparing individuals and organisations for rapid economic and technological change * trade and investment facilitation and liberalisation

The emphasis is on "basic education", which I take to mean at lower levels. Anything above that level emphasises skills directly relevant to business and its economic ends. "Skills" rather than education are emphasised, except perhaps to "prepare individuals for rapid economic and technological change". I would take "improving the quality of curricula, teaching methods and materials" to mean finding ways to reduce the skilled labour content of education - distance education over the Internet etc, but perhaps I'm too cynical!

Bill

Bill Rosenberg, w.rosenberg at csc.canterbury.ac.nz