Identity politics

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Mon Jun 1 09:47:07 PDT 1998

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Charles Brown wrote:

> Another point on hierarchy: For example, I would expect the hierarchy
>child/ adult to persist in communism. I think it would be helpful for you
>to elaborate your concept of hierarchy.

As you are probably aware, there were many "pre-capitalist" societies organized around age-groups and age-sets. Every member of the community would be initiated into an age-set which would then, as a group, pass through a series of age-grades, each with its own corresponding rights and responsiblities. Some consider this a form of "class." This is complicated, but let me just say that I don't consider age-set organization a class system, for two reasons: 1) built in to the system is that everyone passes through each of the stages; 2) there are complex alliances between alternating age-grades, so the grade immediately above yours has to be careful not to be too harsh on you because they could bring on retaliation from their immediate "seniors," with whom you have a special relation/alliance.

This doesn't mean I am not concerned with children's rights and so on. But I think the study of age-set systems and other pre-capitalist forms of institutionalized sharing and cooperation can inform visions for alternatives to capitalism.

Mat