Debating the militia

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 2 14:05:27 PDT 1998

Mathew Forstater wrote:

>What gets me is people want to "reach for their revolver" if someone
>mentions the word "culture," but encourage patience and understanding when
>it comes to self-identified violent racists.

No one has urged patience and understanding in the face of self-identified violent racists. What I'm questioning is the deployment of labels like that without any evidence.

There's a lot of continuity between the stuff that "the militias" spout and the stuff that Jerry Brown spouts, in fact. Brown has many faults, but he's not a violent racist (even though he did once fantasize about sending kids to boot camps where the blacks could teach the whites to fight and the whites teach the blacks to read).

Doug