Women Have Abortions, and That's What Matters (was Re: Abortion acceptability data)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 2 16:16:27 PDT 1998

Wojtek wrote:
>>Don't American women have abortions more often than women in other core
>>capitalist countries do?
>>
>>Yoshie
>>
>I do not know, but my point was not about having abortions but about
>opinions about abortions. These can be quite diffewrent things, as a
>number of people following this thread have pointed out.

No doubt. I said as much a number of times, and in fact that's the reason why I asked the question to begin with. I don't have stats at hand, but more than one million abortions are performed in the USA annually, if I can trust my memory.

The gap between expressed opinions on abortion and women's need + willingness to actually have abortion must be a subject of discussion here, in that the Left needs to consider what women actually need first of all, unless you think that opinions are more important than social practice and material needs, which I don't think you do.

And as sociologist and marxist, you understand that people can subscribe to beliefs and opinions that are contrary to their real interests, needs, desires that are inadmissible due to social sanctions, etc.

Yoshie