Books on History of Religion?

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Tue Jun 2 20:45:46 PDT 1998

> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Katha Pollitt wrote:
>
> > I'd get a lot out of a history of religion in America also. What I know
> > is just picked up from my general reading, which I tend to remember
> > because I am obsessed.
> > Any suggestions? On Catholicism I like "Eunuchs for the Kingdom of
> > Heaven" by Uta Ranke-Heinemann, which is about the Church and its views
> > of women and sexuality across history, but it's not about the US
> > specifically.

Marcia (prnounced Marseeya) Riggs has a book on Black women's clubs (church connected) and their political work. Title: Awake, Arise, Act Robert McAfee Brown has a book entitled _Religion and Violence_. It's one of those leftie "this is what Christianity is supposed to be like" books. Also, Dorothy Day's autobiography, _The Long Lonelieness_ presents a small chunk of Christian history. For a good book about (among other things) economically marginalized Christians, read Dennis Covington's _Salvation on Sand Mountain_. And I can't remember the editor of the book, but the title is _The Universe Bends Towards Justice_, its a collection of Christian writings on nonviolence and so on. James Cone, you have to read James Cone--Malcolm & Martin & America. And Gayraud Wilmore, _Black Religion and Black Radicalism_. Excellent book, that one. And George Tinker, _Missionary Conquest: The Gospel and Native American Genocide._

I sent on the request for history of religion books to some friends who attend seminaries in Berkeley. So it's possible that we'll get a flood of titles from a bunch of queer, pagan, leftist, M.Div students.

Frances