the denominator

Kenneth Mostern kmostern at utk.edu
Wed Jun 3 05:27:05 PDT 1998

Immanuel Wallerstein makes a cryptic comment in a recent article to the effect that discussions of capitalist economic output are irrelevant inasmuch as they ignore "the dominator", which is to say, population growth. He is either implying that in real dollars, global per capita output is stagnant or declining; or that if we figured in the unfigurable (i.e. environmental degradation, alienated existence-he's essentially a Frankfurt Schooler on culture) it would be. Either of which makes sense to me; its just that I don't have the data. So will one of your many economists help me here? Do we have useful figures for the earth's total output, and is it in decline per capita?

Kenneth Mostern Department of English University of Tennessee

"Talent is perhaps nothing other than successfully sublimated rage."

Theodor Adorno -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 3347 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19980603/b6393f50/attachment.bin>