'Respect' + 'Tolerance': One-Way Street?

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Jun 3 08:20:02 PDT 1998

> Do fundamentalists have 'tolerance,' not to mention 'respect,' for
> abortionists, queers, women who are sexually active 'outside of marriage,'
> non-believers, believers of different denominations + religions, and so on?
> Aren't their intolerance and disrespect for the rest of us one of the major
> problems?
> Are criticisms of religion to be forbidden for American Leftists because we
> must 'respect' and 'tolerate' the religious thoughts of all believers,
> including those of the believers who say abortion is murder?
> Yoshie

a number of the Operation Rescue people that I (and others) have confronted in recent days are wearing t-shirts that proclaim that 'intolerance is a beautiful thing'...they refuse to respect the requests of people who do not wish to talk to them...they are especially vicious with youg women in their attempts to cow and intimidate them...Rusty Thomas - one of OR national director Flip Benham's henchmen - yelled at me yesterday: 'you ever had a gun at your head'...he pointed at someone else and screamed: 'you want a gun stuck in your mouth'...the answers to Yoshie's questions have been reconfirmed for me...#1 is an emphatic no!...#2 is absolutely yes!...#3 is again an emphatic no!...Michael Hoover