Religion and the left

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Jun 3 09:07:00 PDT 1998

> I think that just about everybody here takes it for granted that secular
> leftists should be willing to work with religious believers on issues of
> peace or social justice. In fact the history of the American left
> indicates
> that such cooperation has long been the norm. If anything the left has
> too unwilling to voice criticisms of organized religions in the US. This
> is no doubt due to the perception that the US remains the most religious
> of any of the industrialized nations. Therefore, there is a fear of
> giving
> offence to religious believers who might otherwise be political allies.

I spent Monday morning defending an abortion clinic alongside both believers and non-believers...I spent Monday afternoon at a protest and city council hearing about the flying of the rainbow flag on public poles alongside gay/lesbian/bi/hetero believers and non-believers... I spent Monday evening at a farmworker event alongside Cahtolic nuns and others who oppose abortion (there were non-believer supporters of abortion rights beside me in attendance as well)...

a good many of the peace and justice folks in the community I live in have have always been religious...that such an orientation is hegemonic in this society (and therefore 'common sense') is evident in the way that gatherings often begin with messages that convey religious faith...these good people apparently assume that everyone in attendance is motivated by the same social gospel teachings...there is no recognition of non- believers/agnostics/atheists because faith 'just is'...pragmatic secular activists always say, 'just ignore it, don't say anything, it's no big deal, we don't want to offend them...it is. however, apparently ok for those like me to be offended and treated as if we're not standing among among the group...Michael Hoover