Religion, the Left, and Postmodernists (To Jim Farmelant)

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Jun 3 11:09:09 PDT 1998

n Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> American leftists, by and large, are too relativist about the matters of
> religion versus secular thought. A funny thing, though, is they also love
> criticizing postmodernists for being relativists with no regard for Reason
> and Truth.

This laissez-faire attitude about religion is one of the great victories of the liberal Enlightenment. We used to kill and persecute the unbeliever. Now we shrug the shoulders. Hard-case realists like me, who believe that there is no God and religion is hooey, don't get exercised about the odd supernatural beliefs of my fundamentalist neighbors (I medan the nice people who live next door). I should add that this appears, in their case, to be reciprocal. They don't care taht we are commies, which they know, or what we believe or don't religiously. I call that progress.

--jks