each year 11m Third World children under age 5 die*

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Thu Jun 4 08:42:00 PDT 1998

From: Les Schaffer:

>> Mozambique is typical of the reasons why: imperialist greed is

>> behind this human holocaust.

i'd like to hear about the specific dynamics of this, to wit......

>> The IMF admits Mozambique spends more on debt service than on

>> health and education.

Health care spending in Mozambique is exceedingly low, and should be higher as well as distributed in such a way that helps overcome other inequalities. However, a proper comparison of per capita debt service and health care spending needs to account for the relative extent that health care is marketized. Les brought up other issues, and there are even more relations that would be good to clarify. Ths does not mean that I disagree with Mark's point about the severly adverse impacts IMF-imposed economic conditions have for debtor countries (other than the US).

Jeff Fellows