the denominator

Kenneth Mostern kmostern at utk.edu
Thu Jun 4 07:57:30 PDT 1998

The specific Wallerstein text I was referring to is "Culture as the Ideological Background of the Modern World-System", in Featherstone, ed., Global Culture (Sage, 1990). He has made cryptic remarks of this kind in numerous places in his recent essays on culture (which I know rather well); because I have no t yet begun reading his economic texts (ah, disciplinary bias) I don't know whether he's tried to fill them out with any substance.

He does appear, in several places, to be referring to "quality of life", which he acknowledges is, from an economic point of view, "elusive". But as I say, he doesn't go any further than this.

Kenny

Kenneth Mostern Department of English University of Tennessee

"Talent is perhaps nothing other than successfully sublimated rage."

Theodor Adorno -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 3327 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19980604/e4981ef9/attachment.bin>