California elections & bilingual ed

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jun 4 11:01:05 PDT 1998

At 12:50 PM 6/4/98 -0400, Enrique Diaz-Alvarez wrote:
>My guess is that it may be favored by Hispanics, especially since they
>seem to have rejected the proposition overwhelmingly (2-1 margin). The
>measure was essentially passed by whites, against the opposition of the
>Hispanic vote, with blacks split 50-50. Much the same as 187. It would
>be interesting to find out what the vote was among Spanish-speaking
>parents with school-age children, who are, after all, the only ones that
>will be affected by the measure.

What is the source of your stats?

>From what I read in The Nation's article I cited before, Hispanics tended
to favor Prop. 227 because they were disappointed by the quality of the existing bilingual ed. To my recollection, the only supporters were those who benfitted from these programs in terms of employment opportunity. Unfortunately, the text of the article is not available on The Nation's web site, you have to check a hard copy.

I agree however, that measures like that are supported, for the most part, by lingo-Nazis and their cultural cleansing save-our-beautiful-California-for-our-beautiful-white-people bedfellas who passed the Nur Fur Englisch err.. English the official language prop a few years ago.

BTW, does anyone know if that opportunistic swine Wilson openly endorsed Prop. 227 or chose to stay away from the issue?

Regards,

WS