Ecumenism/'Identity Politics'/'Single-Issue Movements'(Re:religion)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jun 4 11:31:03 PDT 1998

At 01:37 PM 6/4/98 -0400, Kenneth Mostern wrote:
>[Kenneth Mostern] What you say here is accurate, but inadequate, because
it assumes a basically rationalist model of identification. That white students assume my competence, and black students do not, is correct; what psychoanalysis in particular attempts to do is explain the irrational grounding of that assumption,

Kenneth:

Thanks for your reply. I do not think the status rationalization process I referred to is based on a rational discourse. It is based on intuitive identification and attribution of ceratin characteristics, a process which, if framed in a rational discourse, would dot simply do not hold water. Just think about, who other than an entrenched racist would think like "Mr. Mostern is a white male. All white males are competent people. Therefore, Mr. Mostern is a competent person." Instead, people tend to intuitively identify with those whom they highly regard, and give them a blank check in most of what they are doing or saying.

My main objection to psychoanalysis is not that it cannot muster corroborating evidence, but that there is no way to empirically falsify its propositions. Each time the 'subject' does not react they way the theory predicts, a new 'defense mechnism' or kindred mental contraption is thrown in to explain that inconsistency. So the theory is always true, no matter what the empirical data show.

Regards,

Wojtek Sokolowski