Calif. election & bilingual education

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 5 07:41:29 PDT 1998

Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

>In
>third grade, I was sentenced in humiliating fashion to a remedial class due
>to my accent and supposed cursive problems along with problem white kids
>and "other" Mexican kids--this was before the myth of the Asian model
>minority had been invented.

Do Indians qualify as model Asians? I thought the "model minority" was mainly about East Asians, and that South Asians were often regarded as little better than Africans. The taxi battle in NYC has brought out a lot of anti-South Asian racism (about 60% of our cab drivers are said to be of South Asian origin, and mainly from the area around Punjab, which suffered massive dislocations from the Green Revo, or so I was told by one of the organizers of the Taxi Workers Alliance).

Doug