Labeling Idiocy (was: Calif. election & bilingual education)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jun 5 09:22:31 PDT 1998

At 11:29 AM 6/5/98 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Speaking of Asia, who invented the idea of "Asia" anyway? Who thought that
>that Indians and Japanese had enough in common to be classified under that
>same label?

I suspect 'the gummint' - they are notorious for using idiotic geographical labels that put apples and organges into one basket. For example, DoD classifies Hungarian as an "Eastern European Language" - the idiocy of that classification is that Eastern European languages are Slavonic EXCEPT the Hungarian which belongs (together with the Finnish) to an entirely different linguistic group.

Another example, until late 60s early 70s they used a label "Warning propaganda" on everything published on the other side of the Iron Curtian, including translations of American literature (I 'liberated' the rubber stamp they used to that end as material evidence).

Regards,

Wojtek Sokolowski