Dems, mass struggle

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Jun 6 15:49:13 PDT 1998

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Nathan Newman wrote:

> One unfortunate fact, despite everyone's claim that "this has
> already been tried" is that there is no national organization in existence
> fighting specifically to push the Dems to the left, no equivalent of the
> conservative Democratic Leadership Council. Lots of organizations like
> unions intervene in specific primary races but there is no equivalent to
> the Christian Coalition which has county-by-county seized control of the
> Republican Party apparatus.

Well, Nathan, it sounds like you've found your dream job at last! Once you get the LDP (LeftDemPac) going, make sure to let us underemployed radical scriveners know of any job applications, OK?

> They were off by two years
> (this was before the 15% solution idea) but if you study indepth what the
> conservatives did in their organizing between Reagan's election in 1980
> and the rise of Newt in 1994, you have to admire the sheer
> comprehensiveness and strategic intelligence of their organizing.

Nah, they just had lots of money and could hire votes in a situation where 60% of the population don't even bother to vote for anything at all (a syndrome best known as Perotismo). Give me the Radical Right's billion-dollar warchest, and I could show you some impressive electoral shifts any day of the week.

-- Dennis