CSCO Proclamation & Call (fwd)

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Mon Jun 8 06:30:41 PDT 1998

I don't think we have any Christians on the list, at least out ones. I forwarded this onto a christian leftist friend in Berkeley, and here's her response. I think it's pretty interesting

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 01:12:36 EDT To: fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu Subject: Re: CSCO Proclamation & Call (fwd)

Hi Frances,

No, I had not heard of this group. I read the name of supporters and they are from a "different camp" then the religious folks I hang with. However, the notion of local, congregational, grassroots activism is a historical theme in my denomination. We do organize as Christians, with other Christians for some issues, but are more likely (esp. in the Bay Area) to be involved in mulit- faith movements. I suspect this group CSCO is Christo-centric, esp. looking at members, and UCC folks aren't into that theology. Notice no mention of homophobia and abortion - makes me a little suspicious.

There is a Christian movement that is headed by Jim Wallis of SOUJOURNERS fame that does make some statements like CSCO - the idea being that creating the liberative kin-dom of God through social action is niether a "Fundamentalist" or "Liberal" perspective. He is trying to get Christians of many ethic and racial and class backgrounds organized in his CALL TO RENEWAL movement (I wonder if CSCO is a response to Jim's work?) CTR is very "liberal" in that it is supportive of ALL social justice movements. I went to one of the regional town-hall meetings last fall. Some neat folks spoke, as well as the open mike time, about being Christian and doing justice - but none of it was anti-non- Christians. Don't know where all that is now.

Thanks for thinking of me.

*K...