Bible Books (Re: Abortion and the Death Penalty)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Jun 8 08:45:24 PDT 1998

> I think Smith's work is a is a bit poppish. There was kind of a funny
> interview with him last year in the _East Bay Express_, in which he said
> he performs rituals from every major as well as a number of minor
> religious traditions. Jack Miles _God: A Biography_ recieved positive
> reviews when it came out in 97. Another thing you might want to look at is
> William Countryman's _Dirt, Greed, and Sex: Sexual Ethics in the New
> Testament and their Implications for Today_. Also Christopher Wright's
> _God's People in God's Land: Family, Land and Property in the Old
> Testament_.
>
> I was doing research on Jewish social/economic ethics for a while, mostly
> Biblical through Talmudic, so if you're interested in any of that, I can
> send a bibliography. That would be useful if you have an interest in
> Leviticus and/or Deuteronomy.

Poppish is fine. I'm no theological rocket-scientist. I'd rather get something I will be able to read through.

Leviticus and Deuteronomy are over my head just now, and I am more interested in Christianity than Judaism at the moment. Christ has many more divisions than Moses.

I did see the Miles book in the store but went for Occhiogrosso, as my previous post indicated.

Thanks for your note.

Max