Consumer debt crunch and division by two

Mon Jun 8 16:19:59 PDT 1998

Thanks to Doug and Jordan for the patient and helpful replies to my queries. What I don't understand is how consumer debt can increase effective demand in the long term or how the credit card has become a proxy for Keynesian programs. Obviously all consumer debt (credit cards, installment plans) does is increase present purchasing power by deducting both the principal and interest payments over so many periods from future purchasing power. Over the long term then consumer debt engenders financial flows to those rentier classes with a presumably lower marginal propensity to consume and should thus have the effect of increasing savings, no?

That is, the interest payments, which are counted as a personal outlay, of course undermine the ability of those households that most need to save to set income aside; but from this it does not follow that the use of credit has decreased the total amount of national savings. In particular, I don't follow this argument made by Medoff and Harless in The Indebted Society:

"The rise in consumer debt is mirrored by a fall in consumer savings. This is a major development...the economy in general worse off for neglecting its savings... For the economy as a whole, savings provide a domestic pool of funds from which to draw for investment in future production and growth." p. 18

Why has the use of consumer credit reduced that pool of funds used for real investment? Income the working class may have saved ends up via interest payments in the accounts of a few rich creditor households more likely to save that financial flow, no?

What is agitating me is the idea drummed into us that the working class in this country does not save enough. Well, yes, income employed workers may have saved is instead expended to pay off interest charges but that's a contribution the working class makes to the savings of the rentier class. The working class is saving more than recognized but not for itself.

And my other question: what are the political effects on the working class from this high ratio of debt service to income? Having already purchased the goodies and realizing that even a few months of missed debt service can add tremendously to the debt burden, the working class seems ever less free. Workers may be changing jobs, but they can't hold out long enough to find a better job or risk being blacklisted and thus take full advantage of even a tight labor market. A few missed payments and that manageable debt will have grown to sink them. Does this have anything to do with the present passivity of the working class?

best, rakesh