Consumer debt crunch and division by two

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 9 09:54:00 PDT 1998

Jon Fine wrote:

>I've seen the New Paradigm referred to fairly often, but I've never heard
>of anyone actually espousing it. Are there actually any economists who
>believe it?

Alan Greenspan, every other month or so, (those months when he isn't worried about "irrational exuberance"). Lots of Wall Street economists say they believe it, but it does help sell securities. Paul Krugman seems to have appointed himself the New Paradigm's #1 enemy lately - he had a piece in the FT the other day urging Greenspan to tighten before it's too late.

Doug